KAMU strives to unify its members in one voice to preserve and strengthen Kansas’ health care safety net. KAMU works closely with federal and state policy makers, government agencies, and collaborative partners to achieve the optimum policy and funding environment for all safety net clinics in Kansas.
KAMU promotes public policy that expands access to health care services and improves health care outcomes for vulnerable Kansans. KAMU is only as effective as the safety net clinic staff, patients, and board members it represents. You are the constituents to whom elected officials really listen to.
Become an Advocate
Policy and opinion makers depend on advocates to help them identify and understand the issues that deserve their support. Without grassroots advocacy efforts, safety net clinics risk losing funding and public support for their needs.
One person working to raise awareness and build support can have a major impact, but many people working together can achieve exponentially greater gains. So, how can you join the safety net advocacy team?
How to Get Started
Here are a few simple ideas to help you get started. If you need additional assistance, contact us!
- Build relationships with your elected officials and invite them to tour your center
- Participate in community events
- Host a Voter Registration event
- Celebrate Safety Net Clinic Week in August by hosting special activities in your community
- Raise awareness through traditional and non-traditional media, such writing letters to the editor and posting on social media
- Participate in KAMU’s Advocacy Day at the Capitol
- Read KAMU’s Member Update newsletter to stay up-to-date on statewide advocacy efforts
- Join the Health Center Advocacy Network to stay up-to-date on national advocacy efforts
Tools & Resources
Click on the links below to position yourself for successful advocacy.
- Grassroots Advocacy Toolkit
- Voices from the Field: Safety Net Health Clinics and Policy Advocacy Webinar (slides)
- Voices from the Field: Safety Net Health Clinics and Policy Advocacy Webinar (presentation)
- Get Your Voice Heard (pdf): A health center approach to building strong community relationships and political support.
- Communicating With Elected Officials (pdf): Detailed tactics for delivering messages clearly, consistently, and concisely to local, state, and federal lawmakers.
- Social Media & Advocacy (slides): A guide to understanding the rules for social media as it relates to advocacy.
Handouts & Talking Points
- KAMU Legislative Platform (pdf)
- KAMU Information For Policy Makers (pdf)
- Fast Facts: Kansas Safety Net Clinics (pdf)
- Register to Vote Poster (pdf)
- Kansas Legislative Website
- Kansas Legislative Committees
- Vote Kansas – Your Guide to Kansas Elections
- Health Center Advocacy Network